We have all heard that connection is an essential component to our well-being. Here are five facts about connection that can help to understand and solidify its importance:
- Human connection leads to a longer life span. When we are socially connected, we tend to be less lonely and isolated. This can add years to our life.
- Connection leads to greater fulfillment. When we feel joy and meaning in our experiences, it increases the feel good hormone of dopamine.
- Lower levels of anxiety and depression. People who tend to have meaningful relationships in their life report having greater capacity to face challenges in their life.
- Higher self-esteem. We are a relationship species, so it stands to reason that when we have loving connections in our lives, we also feel better about ourselves.
- It strengthens our immune system. Connection allows us greater capacity to deal with stress, allowing our immune system to better fight off illness and disease
Now that the pandemic is allowing us to socialize more, we can recognize the importance of connection and create opportunities to spend time with others. This can only do us good. 🙂
Photo credit: https://unsplash.com/@miinyuii