We all have days that just don’t go well for us. Sometimes it is simply a measure of our busy lives, other times it may be a part of our bigger struggle. Having a phrase that we can say to ourselves to get us through a tough moment is a way that we can shift our focus to a place that feels safer; it also helps to temper some of our emotion with reality. Here are some possible mantras to adopt:
- “One day at a time.” Probably the most popular and well liked; it reminds us that the sun rises again tomorrow, and with it the promise of a new day.
- “I won’t feel like this forever.” Very often, our immediate feelings overwhelm us and we can be remiss in remembering that our feelings, both joyful and sad, have a place in our growth.
- “I’m stronger than I think.” We can often lose the perspective of our own strength and capability in the midst of overwhelming emotion; this mantra brings us back to our courage.
- “Slow and steady.” Much like the turtle that wins the race, this mantra reminds us that movement, regardless of speed, still gets us somewhere.
- “Head up, heart open.” I can’t remember where I first heard this mantra, but I have really appreciated it in my own life. It is a poetic reminder that we can stay focused, while maintaining an open and compassionate view of ourselves and others.
- “No matter what, I’ll be okay.” My personal favourite and one that I have used many times in my own experience with trying times. A lovely reminder that we can get through adversity and be okay.
Having a mantra for the tough moments is a healthy practice that often keeps us from “going down the rabbit hole.” Choosing something that feels right for you is a good first step in adopting a mantra that supports healthy internal dialogue and reinforces resilience. 🙂
Photo credit: https://unsplash.com/@pguerreiro