There is just something about a smile. Seeing someone’s smiling face is an instant mood booster and can lead us to wanting to join in the fun. Here are 5 facts about smiling that back up how good it is for us:
- Smiling reduces stress and anxiety. When we smile, we relax our facial muscles; this can help lower our blood pressure leading us to feel calmer.
- Smiling is contagious. We tend to naturally be drawn to people who smile and lean into a more positive attitude; this can help when forming healthy relationships.
- Smiling makes us attractive. Nothing says ‘don’t approach me’ quicker than a frown does; when we smile we tend to draw people in. Smiling can make us look younger too!
- Smiling can lead to a longer life. Along with laughing and having a positive attitude, smiling contributes to the statistics that these habits support a longer life span.
- Smiling just makes us feel good. The act of smiling boosts our serotonin, the hormone that helps to elevate mood.
Bottom line? Find reasons to smile; it will do your body and mind good! 🙂