I love the quote by Hans Christian Anderson that states, “Just living is not enough….one must have sunshine, freedom and a little flower.” It speaks to some core elements in feeling content. Here are five facts about how sunshine is linked to our increased emotional health:
- Sunlight increases serotonin, a hormone responsible for helping us feel calm, centered and relaxed.
- Exposure to the sun prompts our skin to create Vitamin D, known to help lower blood pressure, decrease inflammation and improve brain function (all great factors for our mental health too!)
- Sunlight has been shown to increase oxygen in the blood; bringing much needed oxygen to the tissues, including our brain!
- Sunshine may prevent us from eating too much. The part of the brain that is responsible for mood is also responsible for appetite; boosting your mood can lead to making better choices when it comes to eating.
- Exposure to sunlight can help re-adjust our circadian rhythm, allowing us to get a good night’s sleep.
Moral of the story? Get outside and put your face to the sun. Drink up its warmth and feel the healing affects of its light 🙂
Photo credit: https://unsplash.com/@brianverde