When it comes to music, we have all experienced emotional moments when listening to a song triggers a memory, experience or feeling. I can hear “Dancing Queen” by Abba and instantly think of my mom, hear any Randy Travis song and be reminded of road trips with my girls (yes, I forced them to listen to it and they know all the words!) and when I hear “I Want to Dance with Somebody” by Whitney Houston, I am reminded of high school dances with my friends. Music is uplifting and feeds our comfort system, making an important impact on our mental health:
- music engages areas of the brain responsible for memory and increasing the efficiency of brain processing.
- music elevates mood and aids in relaxation.
- music has the ability to transform a good experience to an unforgettable one.
- music can aid in motivation – throw on some good tunes when you have to clean the house!
- all forms of music have been shown to have therapeutic effects.
Incorporating music in our self-care routine is one that is so simple and yet so beneficial. So turn on the tunes; it will do you good!
Photo credit: https://unsplash.com/@rod_fromthe_guad