In the podcast episode “Dr. Sanjay Gupta on Brain Health” from Well Said, Dr. Gupta reminds us of the importance of brain health in maintaining cognitive function as we age. He spoke of 5 pillars of optimal brain health:
- Movement – which means more than just exercise. In fact, he believes that “activity is the cure for disease.”
- Nourishment – how and what we eat. He speaks of an acronym “S.H.A.R.P” that we can all follow that helps to nourish our brain.
- Rest & relaxation – features why sleep and stillness is important for our brain health.
- Connection – Here he speaks about the importance of “profound connection” and the impact of loneliness on our brain.
- New activities and experiences – how challenging our brains with something creative will help to form new and valuable pathways.
The 23 minute podcase is filled with valuable information and goes into much greater detail. It is well worth the listen: https://www.stitcher.com/show/well-said-2/episode/dr-sanjay-gupta-on-brain-health-81140896
Dr. Sanjay Gupta has also written the book “Keep Sharp – Build a Better Brain at Any Age.”
Photo credit: https://unsplash.com/@alandelacruz4
2 thoughts on “The Importance of Brain Health”
im going to listen to this kristine. ty
You’re welcome Brian! You will enjoy it, I’m sure 🙂