The human brain is divided into two halves or hemispheres with each hemisphere being responsible for certain functions. Although they can sometimes seem as though they work independently of each other, they in fact, do work together and are bound by a bridge of fibers called the corpus callosum.
Today’s post will look at some of the different functions that each side tends to be responsible for:
- Logic. This is the side of our brain that likes sequences, tends to be detail-oriented and appreciates order and patterns. Bring me the facts please!
- Math and Science. The left brain likes what is linear and this is where we go when we need to add something up in our head.
- Words and Language. This is where the song lyrics are formed, when we think with words, how we link names to objects.
- Reality based. By now, you can see that the left brain likes what is rational, practical, safe and predictable.
- Imagination. Day dreaming, creative story-telling, the arts, symbols and images…this is the stuff the right brain loves!
- Feelings. The right brain will use emotion to figure out big picture, or holistic thinking. Philosophical and existential thought.
- Non-Verbal, Intuitive. This is the side of the brain that picks up on what is not being said. Tunes of songs, being able to visualize something, understands meaning.
- Impetuous. When we take a risk, it is right brained oriented. Much more interested in the present and the future than the past and will present us the possibilities.
Although it was often thought that we tended to have a dominant side of our brain, it has been shown that there is no true relevance to this theory. Tomorrow’s post will look at how the two sides of the brain work together to create optimal functioning.
Photo credit: https://unsplash.com/@carrier_lost