Sometimes we just need a minute or two to re-set our system. Perhaps we have been triggered by something that is upsetting, we may feel anxious about a ruminating thought or worry, we may be riled up because of something someone said or did. We know that anything delivered calmly is going to carry more weight than when it is delivered with too much emotion. Here are some ways that we focus on the re-set, in order to find our pause:
- Focus on your breath. It is something that we hear about over and over because it works. Take some long deep breaths, with the exhale being slightly longer than the inhale.
- Splash some cold water on your face, run cold water over your wrists, or step outside if it is cold. Changing the focus to a physical sensation can often allow us to find our calm.
- Use your own name to direct your thinking, “Okay Kristine, focus on one thing at a time.”
- Put on an upbeat song that you know the words to, and sing out loud. Singing stimulates the vagus nerve which can help calm us.
- Consciously relax your jaw and shoulders.
- Follow a 10 minute stretch online.
- Repeat a mantra to yourself that is calming.
When we can find little ways to reset our system, we are training ourselves to engage in our comfort system; making it easier to respond to events rather than react.
Photo credit: https://unsplash.com/@kajtek