Sometimes life can feel as though you have no control over it. That might come from a sinking feeling of what is happening in the world right now, sometimes it can come from our own circumstances – from being too busy or overwhelmed, from being in a job or a relationship that isn’t working for us anymore, from struggling to manage grief or a mental illness. Here are some ways to feel empowered:
- Get outside. Put your face to the sun, feel the breeze on your face. Take a deep breath and inhale the wisdom of the earth.
- Create a goal for the day. It doesn’t have to be a big one – try and have it reflect something that you need right now. It might be to cook a meal for the family, sit down and read for 20 minutes, finish writing that report that has been sitting on your desk.
- Connect with others. Phone a friend, get together on a patio, write a letter to someone.
- Tame your critical voice. Talk to yourself as though you would a friend.
- Be curious. Experiment with ways that you can connect with your center; activities that allow you to feel grounded.
- Find the quiet. Shut off the phone, close your eyes, sit in silence.
- Practice gratitude. Look for the blessings in your life; acknowledge them.
These are all small, yet productive ways to feel empowered; with productive being the key word. When we feel stuck, it is the lack of movement that creates anxiety, discomfort. Being able to choose empowerment means choosing movement, purpose and pursuit of joy.
Like this post? Consider subscribing!
Photo credit: https://unsplash.com/@tmapigoti