I first noticed Youth Mental Health Canada on Facebook. They provide much information that is relevant not only to mental health issues for our youth, but also to the general population as well.
Here are some stats about youth and mental health:
- 11 people die in Canada every day by suicide.; youth are among the highest risk populations for suicide.
- It is estimated that 10-20% of Canadian youth are affected by a mental illness or disorder – the single most disabling group of disorders worldwide.
- In Canada, only 1 out of 5 children who need mental health services receives them.
- Only six percent of the healthcare budget is spent on mental health. The actual figure should be 30 percent to account for the number of people with these disabilities and illnesses.
- Mental illness affects people of all ages, educational and income levels, and cultures.
- Mental illness indirectly affects all Canadians at some time through a family member, friend or colleague.
Being aware of the statistics and being part of a pro-active community helps to create a supportive environment; one that can allow movement to happen and our loved ones to feel validated and hopeful.
To visit their website: https://ymhc.ngo/
To check out their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/YMHECanada
Photo credit: http://Photo by Scott Webb on Unsplash
Liked this post? Consider subscribing 🙂